- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 (12-ounce) box firm silken tofu
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or 1 (15.5-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried
- Pinch garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, lemon juice, sun-dried tomatoes, and capers and stir together. Set aside, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Finely mince the spinach in a food processor and set aside. You should have about 1 cup of spinach.
- In a food processor, process the tofu until smooth, then scrape into a medium size mixing bowl. In the same food processor, pulse the parsley, bell pepper, and scallions until finely chopped. Transfer to the bowl with the tofu and add the spinach, black-eyed peas, flour, panko, baking powder, paprika, thyme, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Use an ice cream scoop to spoon four mounds of the mixture into the oil, flattening the tops of each to make a one-inch thick cake. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. If cakes become dark brown, reduce the heat to medium. Flip and cook 2 more minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot, topped with the reserved tartar sauce.