- Tofu (1 package, any firmness will work)
- 8 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Himalayan Salt or Kala Namlak (optional, but gives it an eggy taste)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 pk. vegan puff pastry, or use your own crust*
- 1 pounds broccoli (two cups cut up)
- 1/4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Vegan cheeses (mozz, parm) optional
Optional recommended additions:
- Vegan bacon chopped into small bits (4-5 strips)
- Sundried tomatoes, chopped fine (1/4 cup)
- Mushrooms, sauteed and chopped (1/2 cup or so)
- Chopped green onions (1/2 cup)
- Sauteed chopped onions
- Preheat the oven to 360° F
- Grease a 10-inch spring-form pan. Line with puff pastry and form a crust. Prick the pastry on the bottom with a fork. You can also do this in a larger cast iron skillet, or a pie tin.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces, wash it and pour in a microwave safe pot. Microwave for 2 – 3 minutes until firm to the bite. You can also steam the broccoli, if you don’t have a microwave oven.
- Prep any other ingredients. Saute onions and mushrooms.
- For the tofu mixture blend all ingredients until smooth, season well. You will probably need to add more plant milk or water, depending on how firm your tofu was.
- Pour the mixture into the crust. Add in the veggies/bacon. Make sure to push down and mix in everything evenly.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast flakes and if you are using vegan cheese, sprinkle it on top. Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until golden.
If you want, you can simply use Just Egg instead of the tofu mix. I think a quick dinner could be done with Just Egg, Puff Pastry, and some microwaved veggies.
*Crust. This is how I make mine. It works.
- 1 + 3/4 cups AP Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (cold)
- 3 Tbls cold water
Mix together the flour and salt.
Cut the butter into the flour mix.. Add the water little by little, stirring in. Knead together until the pastry forms a ball (add extra water or flour if necessary). Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Roll it out in a circle on a floured surface until it’s about 1/8″ thick.
Coat an 8″ or 9″ dish with cooking spray, and sprinkle a little flour on top. Lay the rolled-out pastry on top of the dish and push into the sides to form a base. Trim away any excess pastry (set aside) and pierce the base with a fork. Put the base in the fridge for another half hour and preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
Bake the pastry case in the oven for 10 minutes. You can use baking beans if you have them, or push down the center when you pull it out.