FOR THE CRUST:
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 3/4 tsp salt
– 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
– 5-6 tbsp ice cold water
1. Mix together flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. Cut in shortening with two knives, or pastry cutter.
3. Stir in enough water with a fork for the pastry to come together in a ball.
4. Roll out on a floured surface in a shape that fits your baking dish.
FOR THE FILLING:
– 1 tbsp oil
– one onion, diced
– 1 stalk celery, chopped
– 2 carrots, sliced
– 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 1e can of chickpeas, rinsed
– 1 cup frozen corn
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 1-2 tbsp flour or cornstarch
– 2+ tbsp vegan “chicken” broth powder
1. Saute onion and celery in a saucepan. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Add carrots and potatoes, and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are soft (15-20 mins).
3. Add chickpeas, corn, and peas.
4. Mix flour or cornstarch in a few tbsp of water and add to veggie mix. Cook until mixture thickens. Add more if still too thin. Add broth powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Pour into glass dish (9×13 or so). Roll out crust while mixture cools. Put crust on top of veggie mixture, and cut a few slits in the crust to allow steam to escape. Bake for 40-60 minutes, until crust browns.