INGREDIENTS (5 donuts)
1/2 packet dry active yeast (1 teaspoon)
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 flax egg
1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoons oil + more for frying
1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup of strawberry jelly (optional)
1. In a gallon-sized plastic bag, add the yeast, warm water, sugar, brandy, lemon zest, oil, flax egg, salt, and flour.
2. Zip bag and mix ingredients well.
3. Place bag in a bowl of very warm water for 1 hour.
4. Remove dough from bag onto a floured surface. The dough should be sticky.! Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Make sure both sides of the dough are floured, so it doesn’t stick to the surface. With a cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut 2 inch circles in the dough. When you are left with scraps of dough, roll it out again and cut more circles.
5. Cover with a towel for 30 minutes. Fill a small pan with 1 inch of oil. Heat oil to medium heat. You will know if it’s correct when you add the donut. The oil should bubble around the donut, but not a ton of bubbles. Fry the donuts for about 1 minute on each side.
6. Remove and place on cooling rack or plate with paper towels.
7. With a squeeze tube or piping bag, add your favorite jelly or jam to the donuts. Just make sure the jelly/jam isn’t too chunky to squeeze through whatever you’re using. Puncture a hole in the donut top and squeeze in the jelly.
8. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (or dip in regular sugar)