- 1/4 cup of vegan butter
- 3 cups of thinly sliced onion (or 3 medium onions)
- 1 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1 tablespoons of flour
- 1 quart of vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried ground thyme
- 1 teaspoons of salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions when the butter is melted and beginning to boil. Stir the onions to coat in butter. The onions will sweat out a lot of liquid, turn the heat to high when this happens and stir occasionally until the liquid evaporates. Approximately 15-20 minutes. Watch the onions carefully so they don’t burn.
- Once the liquid evaporates, turn the heat down to medium-high and slightly caramelize the onions. When they are a light golden color add the wine and cook it down. Add the flour and stir well. Cook for one minute. Add the garlic. Cook for one more minute. Add the broth, stock, herbs, and salt. Cook until it comes to a boil. Serve hot.