And easy base for many recipes (top with something savory) or use as a side dish.
Start with yellow grits (corn meal). Use 4:1 ratio of water to grits. In other words, use 1 cup water to 1/4 cup of grits. For a richer taste, use half plant milk and 1/2 water. Use 1/2 tsp salt per cup of liquid.
Water – Plant Milk
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the appropriate amount of salt.
- Stir and slowly add grits to the boiling liquid.
- Cover and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Grease a glass dish. Pour in mixture.
- Refrigerate for an hour or more.
- Cut into squares.
- Lightly flour each side.
- Heat up olive oil and some butter in a skillet
- Fry each side of the squares until golden brown.
Cheezy Gritz (saved here so I can remember to make this. Recipe by Kate V @ Friendly Feast
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cups grits
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds of choice
- 3 T nutritional yeast
- 1/2-1 tsp salt (to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 T vegan butter
- Vegan parmesan (optional)
- Parsley (optional)
- Add water and milk to a medium sized saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Stir in grits and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so to ensure the grits don’t burn or stick to the bottom. Add in cheese, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add butter to the pot and stir once more to distribute before serving. More milk may be added to thin the grits to preferred texture. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Serve topped with vegan parmesan and parsley if desired.