Borrowed and tweaked from Brandnewvegan! I ended up using more tortillas and two glass baking dishes. This made enough for two dinners for 5 people.
First, make some vegan sour cream
- 1 package Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Tbls Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbls Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Water for consistency
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend, adding as much water as needed to allow the blades to work. Scrape the sides with a silicone scraper. Should make about 1 cup of sour cream. Set aside.
Next, make some cheese sauce
- 16 oz potatoes (about 3 medium yukon golds) chopped
- 7 – 8 oz carrots, chopped (about ½ of a 16oz bag of baby carrots)
- ½ cup water used to boil potatoes
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp brown mustard
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
You should end up with this much ‘cheese’ sauce and this much ‘sour cream’
- Wash and scrub both potatoes and carrots
- Peel if desired
- Chop into uniform pieces and boil for 10 minutes
- Let rest for 5 minutes
- With slotted spoon, transfer veggies to blender
- Add ½ cup potato water
- Pulse to mix
- Add in remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Set aside.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 cups (1 package) soy curls
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 Tbls Soy Sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp sage
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 3 Tbls flour
- 3-4 cans green chile (4oz can) OR 7-8 fresh Hatch Green Chiles
- 1 Tbls soy sauce
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 small tomatoes
- 16 corn tortillas
- Season 2 cups of hot water with soy sauce, garlic powder, sage, and thyme
- Place 2 cups (1 package) soy curls in the hot water to rehydrate – 10 min or more
- In a large pan, saute garlic and onion in small bit of oil or broth until softened
- Whisk flour into 1 cup veggie broth and add to pot to thicken
- Add remaining veggie broth and chiles to pot, and stir thoroughly
- Drain and press out any liquid from soy curls – add to same pot.
- Add tomatoes to same pot, if using
- Season with soy sauce, oregano, and cumin
- Cook mixture in pot until it thickens.
- Drain pot mixture to remove excess liquid, but save at least one cup of the liquid. You want your filling to not be too wet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add enough saved pot liquid to cover bottom of a large casserole dish
- Preheat corn tortillas in microwave until soft and pliable
- Roll tortillas with cheese sauce, sour cream, and soy mixture from pot.
- Place seam side down in casserole dish
- Spread additional cheese sauce on top of dish along with any remaining broth
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly
- Garnish with shredded lettuce and salsa (and optionally chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and guacamole)