- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup long–grain rice, toasted*
- Salt to taste
– Chopped tomato
– Sliced scallions/green onions
– Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil or low-sodium vegetable stock or water over medium-high heat for 7 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with toppings of your choice, or the ones listed above.
*To toast the rice, put the uncooked grain in a nonstick pan preheated to medium-high and stir constantly for about 5 minutes, or until it is lightly browned.