After trying many different tacos…walnut, lentil, cauliflower, tofu… they are all good… but these may be my favorite. Mushrooms. It is simple and mushrooms are very good for you.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow and/or red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 box mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each: cumin, garlic powder, black pepper
- Salt to taste (recommend ~1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (more to taste)
- 6-8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: avocado, salsa, shredded lettuce and/or cabbage, chopped tomatoes
- In a large saute pan, saute onions, garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms are browned on the outside. You may need to saute in batches so that your mushrooms have plenty of room to brown and do not steam instead. Drain excess water that accumulates in your pan while sautéing.
- Once mushrooms are mostly browned and the water is drained, add your spices. Continue to saute until aromatic for another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and mix in cilantro. Divide mushroom taco mixture into 6-8 tortillas. Top with your favorite taco garnishes (I prefer shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado!).