This is simple to make and very tasty. This recipe should make 8-10 breads.
1 tsp. active dry yeast (1/2 package)
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. almond milk
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4-2 cups bread flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy.
- Stir in the almond milk, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough, between 1 3/4 to 2 cups. Add flour or water to get the dough to the right consistency. You can also do this in a food processor with a dough blade.
- Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface or until smooth or knead in the food processor. Place in a well-oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down the dough then roll into golf ball-size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Note I sometimes skip this step if I do not have time and I am not sure it matters.
- Preheat a pan to high heat and lightly oil. Pat/press each ball of dough into a thin pancake circle (my circles are normally not that circular!) then add to pan one at a time. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or the cooked side begins to brown. Flip the bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the other side. Continue until all the bread is cooked.
- Place under a towel to keep warm until served.