I already had recipes and made pizza pie, as well as pizza rolls. This is an interesting variation that uses a muffin pan to make individual pizzas. The advantages are that it is a lot easier to deal with a muffin pan than a large pie, and it is easier to roll out the dough. And also easier to eat, you can pick up the muffins by hand. The entire family loved these. The basics are the same really as my other pizza recipes, and you can add whatever your favorite veggies and toppings are. You can use premade marinara sauce or make your own. You can use Daiya cheese, you home made cheese sauce, or skip it altogether.
Dough is so easy to make… a little messy sure, but simple and you know what went into it.
Makes 8, feeds 4.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 2¼ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2½ cups Bread Flour
- Pizza Veggies (your choice, but I like to lightly saute some chopped onions, mushrooms in olive oil)
- Other optional stuff (Tofurkey pepperoni, Gardein meat crumbles, sun dried tomatoes..whatever you like on pizza!)
- Marinara Sauce
- Cheese Sauce (optional) or Daiya Cheese
- Olive Oil or Earth Balance (optional)
- Add sugar and yeast to warm water and stir well.
- Allow to proof for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and other seasonings and mix.
- Add flour and mix well using the dough hook attachment of a stand mixer or food processor. This can be also be done by hand but this is one of those times I feel a food processor is worth the clean up.
- Allow the mixer to knead the dough until it forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place in a large bowl, cover bowl with a towel, and let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes. A small amount of olive oil in the bowl will prevent sticking.
- Prepare sauce by mixing all sauce ingredients and stirring well or open the jar. 🙂
- Chop veggies finely, saute if needed, and have ready for assembly.
- Once dough is risen, cut dough ball in half, then halves again, then halves again. You will have 8 balls.
- Flatten each ball, using extra flour as necessary to prevent sticking. You can rolled out the balls and then stretch with your fingers to make something that is about 1/4″ thick.
- Lightly coat the cups of the muffin pan with some earth balance or olive oil.
- Drape 8 muffin cups with flattened dough balls forming cups.
- Spoon 1 Tbls of marinara sauce into each cup
- Top with veggies of choice
- Top with a spoonful of cheese sauce or sprinkle Diaya mozzarella (optional)
- Bring outside edges of dough up and over top to partially enclose
- Bake in 500 degree F oven for about 10 minutes until partially browned on top.