VEGAN PULLED PORK TACOS WITH PINEAPPLE SALSA
Originally from http://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-pulled-pork-tacos/ and then tweaked
PREP TIME 10 mins
These tacos are stuffed with super-tasty and easy as heck to whip up vegan pulled pork
Recipe type: Sandwich
For the Vegan Pulled Pork
- ¼ cup tomato paste (about half a small can)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (or more water, though you may need to add a touch more maple syrup)
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce, or to taste)
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-14 oz. cans heart of palm, drained or 2 cans of young jackfruit in brine (or use mushrooms or soy curls)
For the Pineapple Salsa
- 1 cup finely diced pineapple
- ½ cup finely diced tomato (about 1 small tomato)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1½ tsp. lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Tacos
- 6 corn tortillas or taco shells
- a few handfuls of shredded lettuce
Make the Vegan Pulled Pork
- Place tomato paste, maple syrup, water, pineapple juice, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sriracha, liquid smoke and garlic into a small saucepan and whisk until everything is blended.
- Drain hearts of palm, cut in half, and pull apart by hand…you can slice the outer parts if they are tougher to pull apart.. Or use jackfruit…discard the hard parts and the seeds and pull apart by hand. Or just add sliced mushrooms (1 package). Add to sauce mixture and stir until incorporated. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook about 20 minutes, until sauce has thickened a bit and hearts of palm or jackfruit or musrooms are very tender. Continue pulling apart hearts of palm or jack fruit, while cooking, using a fork.
Make the Pineapple Salsa
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl. Add lime juice and salt to taste.
Make the Tacos
- If using corn tortillas, lightly oil them and place into a hot skillet or 400° oven for a few minutes to heat and crisp up. Or fry them in a shallow cast iron pan.
- Stuff tortillas or taco shells with shredded lettuce and vegan pulled pork. Top with pineapple salsa. Serve with hot sauce. Suggest rice and beans on the side.