Makes a skillet full of corn bread. Use a 10″ diameter cast iron skillet for best results or use individual cast iron molds.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Blender or food processor
- 10″ or equiv cast iron skillet (I used a 12″ diameter skillet, so it came out a little thinner)
- Silicone spatula
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup or 1 can of corn kernels
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon oil or vegan butter/shortening to grease the skillet
- Green Chilis or Jalapenos (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Place skillet into oven to pre-heat. If you are using oil or shortening, you can add it before heating the skillet.
- Whisk the lemon juice and plant milk together and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt.
- In a blender or food processor, add corn, 1/2 cup of oil, and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
- Add plant milk/lemon juice to the blender and mix with the corn/oil/maple syrup.
- Pour the blended mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Do not overmix. Just mix together thoroughly.
- If you are adding optional bits, chop them finely and fold them into the batter.
- Remove hot skillet from oven. If you are using vegan butter to coat the skillet, add the butter to the hot pan and spread it around, coating the sides. Pour batter into skillet.
- Put skillet back in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until edges start to turn golden brown.
- Let cool a little before cutting. You can eat it hot, but it will crumble when cut.