There are two different recipes for vegan sour cream. Each are very good and each are very easy. Try both and decide what you like, or maybe make one because you have tofu or the cashews?
Tofu based Vegan Sour Cream
From brandnewvegan.com and then tweaked.
This sour cream is 100% Dairy-Free.
- 3/4 package Extra Firm Tofu
- 2-3 Tbls Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tbls Red Wine Vinegar (or any wine vinegar), white wine vinegar will give it a whiter color.
- 1 clove garlic, minced.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbls of water for consistency
Add all the ingredients to a blender,
Start with 1 Tablespoon of each liquid and add more, one by one, until you get the taste and consistency you like. You don’t want it too runny.
Scrape the sides of the blender as needed.
Make half the recipe for use as a add on such as with enchiladas.
Cashew based Vegan Sour Cream, based on the recipe from OHSHEGLOWS (and then tweaked by me)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight or for 8 hours if you have the time. For a quick-soak method, pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 1 hour. Rinse and drain.
- Place the drained cashews in a high-speed blender.
- Add the water, lemon, vinegar, garlic, and salt. Blend on high until super smooth. You might have to stop to scrape down the blender now and then or add a touch more water to get it going.
- Transfer into a small, air-tight container and chill in the fridge. The cream will thicken up as it chills. The cream will keep in the fridge for about 1 week. You can also freeze it for up to 1 month.