This I originally found at http://www.onegreenplanet.org/plant-based-recipes/vegan-sourdough-stuffing/
It was simple enough to make and ended being the best stuffing I have ever eaten. I modified the recipe slightly based on how I like it.
- 1 large loaf of crusty sourdough bread
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced (use any kind)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, very finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried sage (I used 3 small sage leaves that I chopped)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups vegetable stock
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Cup up bread loaf into cubes about 1/2″ to 3/4″ square. Spread bread on baking sheet and put in oven to crisp up. This should probably be 5-7 minutes.
Heat olive oil in a skillet. Toss in onion, celery, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes on high heat.
Add mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes stirring. Everything should now be soft.
Take toasted bread cubes and place in very large bowl. Pour in the cooked veggie mix. Add spices (including parsley) and vegetable stock.
Mix by hand to fully coat the bread cubes.
Place mixture in baking dish and put in the oven, baking at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.