Vegan Sweet Potato Mac & “Cheese”
Mac & Cheese Ingredients
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut them into little cubes
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni noodles
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, and more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 can coconut milk
- Panko or bread crumbs (optional)
- A handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Boil or steam sweet potatoes until soft.
- Cook the pasta, drain, return to pot.
- Place cooked sweet potatoes, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, chili flakes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, almond milk, coconut milk, and salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides as needed. If the mixture is too thick, use more almond milk.
- Sauté mushrooms and garlic in oil on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add macaroni noodles to the bowl, and fold in the blended sauce. Spoon all into a casserole dish, sprinkle cooked mushrooms on top and place in the oven for 10 minutes. You can also add panko or bread crumbs to the top.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle freshly chopped parsley over the top, and serve.