Indian Tikka Masala Originally from Coque Vegan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRbsAvQsKE then modified
- I block of Extra Firm Tofu, or one package of Butler Soy Curls, or use imitation chicken, or cauliflower, or mushrooms.
- 3 Tbsp oil
- Sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of frozen peas (optional)
- Rice or Naan Bread or Potatoes
- ¼ cup Corn Starch or Potato Starch or Arrowroot Powder
- ¼ Tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ Tsp Smoke Paprika
- ¼ Tsp Cumin Powder
- ¼ Tsp Tumeric
- ¼ Tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 15 Oz Can diced tomatoes
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 3 Garlic cloves pressed
- 1 ½ Fresh Ginger grated
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek powder
- 1 Tsp Tumeric
- 1Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds (optional)
- 1 Tsp Coriander
- ½ Chili Powder for Spicy, ¼ Tsp for Medium or omit for no spice
- 1 ½ Tsp Paprika
- ¼ Tsp Cardamom powder
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- ½ cup of water or more if not desired as thick
- 1 15oz Can of Coconut Milk, or sub with 3/4 cup Soy or Coconut unsweetened yogurt or 1/2 cup soaked raw cashew with 1 cup water and blend in blender till creamy
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
Press tofu in a press (or between plates with a weight on top).
Mix all dredge ingredients in a bowl.
Cut tofu into small shapes (squares, triangles, whatever) about 1/2″ thick.
Coat all the tofu pieces in the dredge. You may want to try the put everything in a ziplok baggies and shake method.
Heat up oil in skillet. Carefully add breaded tofu pieces. Move pieces apart to prevent sticking and turn until browning and crispier on front and back. Remove from oil and set aside.
In same pan, add in cumin seeds (if using) and stir for 1 minute. Add in diced onion. Cook for 2 minutes. Add in minced or pressed garlic and grated ginger to the pan (and mushrooms if using). Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add in full can of diced tomatoes. Cook until onions are fully soft, about 4 minutes.
Add spices except garam masala to the skillet and mix. Saute under medium heat for a few minutes.
Add one can of coconut milk. Stir.
Add tomato paste. Stir.
Add tofu to pan and gently mix. Simmer over low-med heat for 10-15 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
Add in garam masala and gently stir.
Serve with rice or naan bread. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.