I started with this recipe from Just Foods. I made my own tweaks. It is awesome and works great. One thing I like about it, is how easy it is, it uses one skillet, and everyone loves it.
Tools: Larger cast iron skillet, spatula, can opener 🙂
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped (can use green or yellow)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted, if available)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for kick)
- 1 bottle Just Egg
- 1/2 block Violife Feta cheese, cut into 1/4″ thick chunks (approx 1/2″ square)
- 1/2 block of tofu (firm is good)
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
Heat up olive oil in the skillet and add onions. Cook for 2 minutes until onions start to soften. Add in garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add in red bell pepper and stir for 2 minutes. Add in diced tomatoes, diced tofu (optional) and tomato paste and all seasonings. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes or so. You want more of the liquid to evaporate so you can build “wells” in the mixture.
When the mixture is thicker, push aside 4 to 6 wells in the tomatoes. You should see the skillet in the bottom of the well without having a lot of liquid running back into the well. Shake the bottle of Just Egg and pour into the wells. It will overflow a little and that is fine.
Add in chunks of the feta, as much as you want. Keep cooking on medium heat. To help cook, I like to add a cover at this point. You will know when it is done when the Just Egg is set. If you want, you can also put it in the oven or under the broiler. Poke at the Just Egg to see if it is still liquid. The Feta will also be melted.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve over rice, or with naan bread, or with crusty Italian bread.