This is my favorite version of Spanish rice. I like using a wok, because this is basically fried rice, but with Spanish flavors.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- Diced or sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 cups (cooked) long grain white rice, pre-cooked
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small can of tomato sauce (can also use crushed tomatoes)
- Water as needed
- Can of corn, drained
- Can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbls cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Sliced avocado for garnish (optional)
- Lime (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in the onion, pepper and carrot. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften. If using mushrooms, add in towards end and cook until soft.
- Add in the cooked rice.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir to combine, then stir in the tomato sauce. Mix. Add in all seasonings.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Taste and season with additional salt if needed, then garnish with the cilantro., bit of lime juice, sliced avocados