Saved for image
This recipe was originally done on a Youtube video by the talented The Wicked Kitchen. I have put it here (I could not find a printed version) as well as added my own tweaks.
- 2 blocks of medium tofu
- Package of green beans (optional)
- 4 cloves minced garlic (optional)
- 3 green onions or scallions, thinly sliced
- Rub mix. 1 Tablespoon each of cumin, garlic powder, onion, powder, smoked paprika, cayenne or chili flakes
- Olive oil as needed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tsp Agave or Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheese (any variety)
- 1/4 cup Panko
- Salt and pepper as needed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Heat up cast iron skillet to high heat
Squeeze excess water from tofu blocks. You do not need to press the tofu. Pat dry.
In a large bowl, coat tofu blocks with oil. Apply rub mix to the blocks, coating all sides. Season with salt and pepper.
Add splash of oil to cast iron skillet. When hot, carefully place tofu blocks in the skillet. Sear both top and bottom (flip as needed). Set aside bowl with any remaining seasoning/oil.
Transfer skillet with tofu to hot oven. Bake for 10 minutes. While tofu is baking, blanche green beans.
Toss blanched green beans into same bowl. Add spritz of olive oil as needed. Add salt and pepper. Add minced garlic.
Mix crust mix. In a small/medium bowl, mix mayo, agave/maple syrup, smoked paprika, panko, and cheese. Season with some salt and pepper.
Remove tofu/skillet from oven. Using a spatula, remove tofu and add beans to hot skillet. Stir beans to pick up any spice from the pan. Put tofu back on top of the beans. Place skillet back into the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove skillet from oven. Garnish top of crusted tofu with vegan mayo and BBQ sauce and more sliced green onions.