- 1/2 cup (1 stick) non-dairy butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup natural cane or granulated sugar
- 2 tbls flax seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- (Optional add-ins:) 1/3 cup walnuts, hazelnuts or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 7-8 standard-sized muffin tins with cooking spray. Alternatively, fit each with a paper liner.
- Mix flax seed with 5 tbls of warm water in a small bowl and let rest for 5 minutes (this is the egg replacement)
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl and melt in the microwave. Then stir in the flax “egg”, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine. Lastly, add the flour, then fold in any mix-ins – chocolate chips or walnuts would be excellent here.
- Scoop batter evenly into 7-8 muffin tins until 3/4 full and bake on the middle rack for 22-26 minutes, or until the brownies start to pull away from the sides and they spring back slightly to the touch. Be careful not to overcook or they will get crumbly. Remove from oven and let rest in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a plate or cooling rack.