4 whole carrots, cut into bun-length pieces with ends removed
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (or 1/2 clove garlic, minced)
Dash liquid smoke
Pepper, to taste
4 vegan hot dog buns
Desired hot dog toppings (BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.)
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook the carrots until you can barely pierce through them with a fork. Be careful not to cut the carrots when testing!
- Combine all the other ingredients together in a plastic container or baggie to make the marinade. Place the cooked carrots inside, shake up, and set aside to marinate for at least 3 hours. You can marinate for up to a few days—we marinated ours for about 4 hours, and they turned out very flavorful.
- When you’re ready to serve, pour the carrots and marinade into a large pan on the stovetop or grill on medium heat, rotating periodically, for 5 to 10 minutes, until carrots are heated all the way through.
- Place on a hot dog bun, add the toppings of your choice, and enjoy!