Chickpea Frittata with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
For the Frittata
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cups finely chopped kale (approx. 1 small bunch) or one package of frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots (approx. 2 large carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (approx. 1 small bunch)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
For the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a 10-inch skillet, warm two tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped carrot and green onion then cook for 2 minutes. If using frozen spinach or kale, defrost first. Add the garlic and the kale and continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes, until the kale begins to wilt. Allow to sit over medium heat while you prepare the batter.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups garbanzo bean flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 2 and 1/2 cups water, and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil then whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, until the edges begin to firm. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the top appears firm. Set the oven to broil and cook for 5 more minutes, until light golden brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. It’s important to let it cool all the way for proper texture. If it seems too wet inside, let it cool all the way then reheat it in the oven or in the microwave (using a microwave safe dish) when ready to eat.
- Meanwhile make the red pepper sauce by combining the roasted red peppers, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and 1 garlic clove in a food processor or a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve chickpea frittata warm with pepper sauce. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.