Breakfast does not have to include meat and eggs and cheese! I like using a large wok to cook in and using a wok paddle. You can easily vary the ingredients and add in other veggies or not use some of the ones I listed. At the end, you have a single bowl, hearty meal that can also be easily reheated and even frozen for later use.
Potato (Tofu) Scramble.
- 4 Russet Potatoes (can use other types such as Yukon Gold)
- Extra firm tofu (optional)
- 2 Green peppers (can also use other colors like yellow, red, orange). Sliced and chopped.
- 2-3 Green Onions. chopped.
- 1 White or Yellow Onion, diced or sliced.
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced.
- Salt, Pepper, Tumeric, Cumin,
- Olive oil, 1/4 cup
- Siracha to taste
Alternate cooking methods for potatoes. Wash and then boil potatoes in large pot . Place in cold water. Peel. Dice or slice to desired size. OR… peel, dice and slice, toss to cover in oil, then wok fry until done. Or cook in microwave. I find that just using the cube and fry method creates a harder potato and I prefer precooking the potatoes in water or the microwave.
If you like a softer hash, skip this step. If you like your potatoes crispy and browned, fry them in the wok with a bit of olive oil. Set them aside.
If using tofu… cut tofu into small chunks. Fry in olive oil and add salt and pepper. Slightly brown outside. Remove from heat and set aside.
In wok, heat olive oil, add all veggies and mushrooms and cook about 15 minutes until slightly soft. Add spices. Add in cooked potatoes. Stir and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add in the tofu. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
Add siracha to taste. Serve with toast.