This recipe is from the amazing Rabbits and Wolves. See:
I tweaked it a little to change to a 9×13 dish and to add my own seasonings and optional meat replacement and a few little things. This is one of the easiest dinners I make and yet one of the most tasty also. Very much a good choice to please the non-vegans.
I think this dish can work with multiple “meat” replacements. I might try using mushrooms at some point. I also would like to try adding some onions to the meat mixture.
- 13 x 9 baking dish
- Cast iron skillet
- 1 block Impossible Beef or 1 bag of Beef Crumbles or 2 cups of Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) or 1 block of firm crumbled tofu
- 2 Cups veggie broth (only used if using TVP)
- 3 Tbls Taco Seasoning* (use store bought or make your own)
- 1 can corn kernels, drained (or 1.5 cups frozen corn)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bag of frozen tater tots
- 1 bag (or 1 and 1/2 bags) of vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Mexican Oregano
- Chopped cilantro
*Taco Seasoning (mix all ingredients together in a small bowl)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
If you are using TVP, add veggie broth to skillet and add TVP. Simmer until all broth is soaked up by the TVP. If using crumbles, Beyond Beef or Impossible Beef, or tofu, add a small bit of oil to prevent sticking and add to a hot skillet. Using a spatula, chop up as you cook.
Once the TVP is hydrated or the “beef” browned or the tofu heated up, mix in the taco seasoning.
Add in the canned corns, beans, and crushed tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes as you stir. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
In a 9×13 glass baking dish, add all the “meat” mixture to the bottom of the pan. You do not need to grease the dish.
Using a bag of frozen tater tots. Place all the tots on top of the “meat” mixture. I like to line them up. You will end up using most of the bag, with a handful left over.
Place dish in oven and cook for 25 minutes. Remove dish and add cheese to cover top of the tots. Put back in oven for 10 more minutes to melt the cheese.
Remove from oven and add your toppings of choice and serve.