Modified a bit. This is VERY easy and quick and tasty. You can even make the pesto ahead of time and keep it in the frig and then heat it before adding to the pasta. It can be used with almost any pasta.
- Avocado and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto:
- 1/2 cup Cashew Nuts (soak in water for 3 hours before, then drain)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh Basil
- 1 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes (oil packed, but drained) I used 1/2 a 16 oz jar)
- 2 teaspoons minced Garlic (about 4 -5 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (I only use 1 tsp because small kids… if you are adults, go to 2 tsps!)
- 3-4 tablespoons reserved Oil from Sun-Dried Tomatoes or add more olive oil instead
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup or agave. If you don’t have these, you can also use sugar but maple syrup adds to the taste. This is optional and it still is awesome without sweeteners.
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
In a food processor (or blender) put in all the ingredients.
Process until you develop a smooth loose paste. If it is too thick, add some olive oil. You do not want a runny sauce. You will have some texture from the basil and cashews and this is a good thing.Taste and add salt if needed.
Cook a full box of pasta in a large pot. Drain off *most* of the water, leaving about 1/2 cup. Add in the pesto and stir until all the pasta is coated.
Serve warm with a side veggie and garlic bread!