- 1-2 lbs fava or lima beans, about 1 ½-2 cups shelled
- 1 c small sized pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4 sprigs mint plus 1 tbsp finely chopped mint, dried may be used
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance or similar)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
If using fresh beans:
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fava or lima beans and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove and transfer the beans to the ice water. Let cool and then peel off their skins.
Add pasta to boiling water and reserve 1 ½ c of cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Heat olive oil, garlic, all but 1 tbsp of the mint, and all but 2 tbsp of the scallions in a large skillet. Cook, stirring until scallions are soft.
Add the favas/limas and 1 cup of the reserved cooking water. Bring to a simmer and cook 8-10 min, until the beans are tender.
Add the pasta to the skillet and cook, tossing until it absorbs some of the sauce. Stir in the vegan butter, parsley, reserved mint & scallions, and salt and pepper to taste.