- 3 cups fresh basil, large stems torn off
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cracked black pepper
- pasta of choice
- Sliced mushrooms (optional)
- If using mushrooms, saute in a skillet and set aside.
- Rinse the basil, wringing out most of the water and toweling it off a bit. A small amount of water is ok.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Mix for 2 minutes.
- Stop to scrape down the sides and process for another minute.
- Cook pasta. Add pesto. If using mushrooms, mix them in. Serve.
Note, I think you can make this with peas, and also cooked onions.