Of course this does not only have to be eaten at breakfast, but it is a good replacement for egg muffin type sandwich. The cool thing is it uses only one pan.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. iodized salt
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. turmeric to taste
- a few grinds of fresh pepper
- dash of black salt
- 2 tbs. neutral oil
- English Muffins
- Vegan cheese slices (cheddar preferred)
- Vegan sausage (Gardein breaskfast sausage or any other) or vegan bacon
Slice tofu into sheets and cut out circles—I crumble the excess for future use—combine cornstarch; spices in a bowl, and heat a 12 inch cast iron pan on medium heat with either just a bit of oil, or with some vegan butter.
Toast muffins in the pan face-down while it heats, remove and set aside. Sear the vegan sausage on both sides.
.Add an additional tablespoon of oil to the pan, dredge tofu circles in the cornstarch mix and pan fry immediately until golden, flipping once. Cook until golden on both sides. Turn off heat.
Assemble sandwich with bun, tofu, sausage or bacon, and cheese. Place back in pan and cover to melt the cheese.