Pasty originated in Cornwall and were popular in the upper Midwest of the United States. A simple food that could be frozen, reheated, and carried to work for a hearty lunch. This recipe is plant based but maintains all the taste. Makes 5.
4 Sheets Pastry (or make your own)
1 Red Onion (Chopped)
6 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
3 stalks of Celery (Chopped)
1 package Mushrooms (Chopped)
1 cup (approx 2) Potatoes (Parboiled & chopped)
4 Carrots (Parboiled & chopped)
1 Pint Vegan Gravy (see recipe)
4 Tsp Rosemary (Finely Chopped)
4 Tsp Thyme (Finely Chopped)
4 Tsp Salt
4 Tsp Pepper
6 Tsp Wholegrain Mustard
1. Saute onion in some olive oil until soft. Add minced garlic. Stir and cook. Add celery and continue to cook.
2. Add in rosemary and thyme, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir. Add mushrooms. Cook until soft.
3. Add in already cooked and chopped potatoes and carrots. Stir and continue to cook. Add in gravy. Stir.
4. Put a good pile of the veg mix into the middle of a rectangle of pre rolled shortcrust pastry (the pastry should be on well oiled baking tray to prevent sticking)
5. Fold the pastry over the vegetable mixture & squash down the sides with your fingers
6. Cut the excess pastry off with a pizza cutter (it’s much easier than using a knife) & put it to one side
7. Use cut off bits and re-roll out to make one or two more.
7. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes (or until golden brown)