So nothing is more comfort food than a traditional MidWestern hot dish.
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1 small carrot , chopped
- 2 stalks of celery , chopped
- 2 cups broccoli , chopped small
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz container vegan cream cheese or 1 cup cashew cream*
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 TB tamari (or soy sauce if not gf)
- 1 can of white beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 cup gluten free (or regular) bread crumbs
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil (or melted vegan butter)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Add olive oil, onion, garlic and celery to saute pan and cook for 5 mins.
Add vegetable broth, carrots and broccoli, cover and cook for another 10 mins.
Mix in vegan cream cheese or cashew cream, nutritional yeast, tamari, rice and beans.
Place in oven safe dish.
In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs and olive oil then sprinkle it over casserole.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
*To make Cashew Cream soak 1/2 cup of cashews in water for a few hours or in boiling water for 10 mins. Discard water and add cashews and 1/2 cup of water to high-speed blender & blend until smooth.